What Should Students Know?

Here's an interesting article from Karl Fisch, posted on his blog The Fischbowl, as well as at The Huffington Post.

At the basis of the article is the question: What is more important, content or skills?

The author quotes reading teacher Chris Tovani who once said, "Yeah, as a teacher I can cover my curriculum. I can get to that finish line. But often when I get to that finish line and look around, I'm all by myself."

Another question the author poses is: Is the purpose of schools to meet the needs of society or the needs of the students?

Ultimately, he concludes, adding the word "this" to the original question might be the best answer.  Instead of asking ,"What should students know?", maybe we should be asking, "What should this student know?"

It's an interesting read that definitely applies to our situation here at VCA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...