Story Writing App

StoryKit is a free app that has been installed on all the iPods.  Imagine a Lucy Calkins sheet of paper in digital form - text at the bottom, image on the top - only reversed.  Now put that on the iPod. 

After writing a story, report, descriptive paragraph, or whatever, students can then enter their text into Story Kit.  They decide how much of the text goes on each page.  Then photographs, clip-art, or other images can be inserted at the top of the page.  Images can be resized and moved and multiple images can be inserted on a page.  Students can also use the white board built into the app to draw their own digital illustrations.

I learned about this app from Teaching in the 21st Century.  Here is a link the author's post about two students' final products.  One of the students is usually a non-writer, but composed his entire story within the app.  Interestingly, the teacher says that she hesitated to release that sort of control to the student at first, but is thrilled with the result.  Click here for that post.  These are fourth graders.

It's worth it to read the teacher's reflections, but to see the completed stories, here they are:

Story One (generally a good writer)
Story Two (generally a non-writer)

1 comment:

  1. We're finishing up a creative/descriptive writing peice about traveling in space. I'd like to try storykit for the publishing part. I'll have to play with it a little so I know what I'm doing first! :) I let you know how it goes... or doesn't go. ~Becky~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...