I ran across this interesting activity to do with students called 100 Things About Me as a Reader. I'm planning on doing it in some form with the 5th and 6th graders, but I thought you might like to read what it's about at A Year of Reading, the site where the post originated.
The activity calls for just what the title says, for students to name 100 things about themselves as readers. The teacher started with a interview questions, but then students created their list on their own. Nobody, not even the teacher, made it to 100, but the teacher's intention is to return to the list during the year. I think this would be a great portfolio item, especially one that grows with them from kindergarten to sixth grade. Imagine looking back at your perceptions in first grade when you are a sixth grader!
One of my favorites came from a reader's comments. One of her students wrote, "I don't like to spend my money on books. So I just ask my parents for them, and they can spend their money." You just know this kid will gladly buy books for his/her kid in the future.
Finally, I think the activity could be expanded with any skill or subject replacing Reader.
100 Things About Me as a Writer
100 Things About Me as a Researcher
100 Things About Me as a Presenter
100 Things About Me as a Project Designer
100 Things About Me as a Geographer
100 Things About Me as a Etc., Etc., Etc.

No comments:
Post a Comment