I'm posting this here for myself as much as anyone else, but here it it anyway. Wikis are online spaces where the information presented to readers and all of the content is created by the users. Wikipedia is the most well-known example. User created content is one reasong why many schools don't like Wikipedia, after all, how can you trust ... well ... pretty much anybody in the world with a computer who can post information? At the same time, content is also user regulated and edited, so if something is amiss, users can make changes. There are even discussion lists debating what should be included.
Back to the elementary classroom. I've always been curious about how to create a Wiki with a class, where all the information contained is created and published by the students. Portfolios? Projects? Collaboration? The possibilities are there, but I just don't know how! Aarrgghh!
Here is an article that I mean to get into sometime soon about how to make Wikis work in the elementary classroom. It is from T.H.E. Journal.

Would it be more beneficial to have a classroom blog or a Wiki? I read the article, but need to reread because I'm still not quite getting it.
ReplyDelete